Harry Clyde Hudson (McLaughlin)(Metcalf) (1886 - 1956)

Links for Clyde Hudson

Clyde Hudson History

Harry Clyde Hudson (McLaughlin)(Metcalf) was born 30 Jan 1886 in Gettysburg, Potter county, South Dakota. He was the 3rd of 5 children born to Almond Cely McLaughlin and Emma Maria Charlton.

The Wikipedia entry for Gettysburg South Dakota states: "Gettysburg was platted in 1884. The city was named in commemoration of the Battle of Gettysburg. A large share of the early settlers were veterans of the Civil War". Clyde's father, Almond McLaughlin, served in the Civil war in the Minnesota 1st infantry, B company as a private. Almond and his wife Emma, along with their child Lysle moved to Gettysburg in 1863.

The 1890 US census was mostly destroyed in fire. However, in the 1890 census of Veterans and Widows of the Civil War, Clyde's father is listed as living in Gettysburg, South Dakota. Presumably the rest of the family lived with him.

Almond C Mclaughlin 1890 Census

Clyde and his siblings ~late 1890, early 1891
L-R: Clyde, Lysle, Blossom, Pierre, Freeman

In April 1891 Clyde's mother Emma died. She was survived by her 5 children (source), although it is believed that Clyde's 1 year old brother also died in 1891. Clyde was 5 1/2 years old when his mother passed away. After his mother died the family broke up and the children were given up for adoption. At this time Almond McLaughlin was 51 years old working as a blacksmith. Emma was his 3rd wife to die while married to him. Clyde was adopted by Reverend Arthur Metcalf and his wife Ida, who were married in 1889. At this time he became known as Harry Clyde Metcalf. In Almond McLaughlin's obituary in describing Emma McLaughlin's death it says: "Her funeral was held at the Baptist Church with Rev. Metcalf officiating." This indicates with certainty that Almond McLaughlin knew the Reverend Metcalf who was quite possibly the McLaughlin's pastor.

In the 1888 edition of the "Church Building Quarterly" it lists "Turton (South Dakota) The Congregational Church. Rev Arthur Metcalf, pastor, is erecting a church." This is a listing for the American Congregational Union associated with the Congregational Church. A further reference (scroll down), which includes a picture of him, also indicates he was a minister in the Congregational church not the Baptist church. He came to the USA in 1887 and served in South Dakota and Minnesota among other places. We know this is the same Reverend Metcalf because as seen below in the Hudson adoption papers his first name is given as "Arthur".

The Reverend Metcalf and his wife Ida moved with Clyde to Minnesota between 1891 and 1894. In Nov 1894 Reverend Metcalf signed legal control of Clyde over to the Children's Home Society of Minnesota. The assignment papers, wherein Reverend Metcalf released custody to the Children's Home Society were included in the adoption papers of Clyde by the Hudsons. In the assignment papers it refers to Clyde as "Harry Metcalf". It also states "I, the subscriber (referring to Arthur Metcalf), the legal guardian of the said child, the mother being dead father having deserted him do hereby...". Further on in the assignment papers it states "I have had Harry 4 years". The assignment was signed November 27, 1894, which is 3 years, 7 months after Clyde's mother died. This would seem to indicate that Clyde went to live with the Metcalfs close to the time that his mother died. We do not have any legal papers to indicate exactly when the Metcalfs became the legal guardians for Clyde.

The assignment papers indicate that the reason Reverend Metcalf is assigning Clyde over to the Children's Home Society is "On account of my wife's poor health we have not the means". In the 1900 Census Arthur and Ida were living in Houghton, Michigan with 2 children ages 8 and 5. Extrapolating back from the 1900 census, unless they had a child who died, they had no children of their own when they adopted Clyde and had one child of their own and Ida was possibly pregnant with their second (depending upon the exact timing) child at the time they gave up Clyde to the Children's Home Society.

After Clyde was given over to the Children's Home Society of Minnesota he was adopted by Daniel Irving Hudson and Phylinda Munger. While the adoption was finalized January 1897, Clyde was living with the Hudsons by June of 1895 when the 1895 census (see below) was recorded. One clue as to when Clyde went to live with the Hudsons is in the 1905 Minnesota census (see below). Clyde's adopted parents are listed as having lived at their place of residence 15 years and two months. Clyde is listed as adopted and living there 11 years. The information in these two census seems to indicate that Clyde was living with the Hudsons sometime in 1894. Either Clyde went to live with the Hudsons immediately after being given over to the Children's Home society by the Metcalfs or perhaps he was actually at the Children's Home society before the paperwork was finalized in late 1894. In the assignment papers the wording is such that it could be interpreted that the Society could place children with families and/or provide the children for adoption:

    "And I engage that I will not ask or receive any consideration for the services of said child...or take said child from or induce him to leave the family were he may be placed by the agents of said Society. It is understood, and I hereby request said Society, if it so desires, to secure for my child legal adoption by such person or persons as may be chosen by said Society or its authorized agents"

In the 1895 census of Minnesota, Clyde is listed as male, 9 years old and living with Daniel and Phylinda Hudson in Windom Village, Cottonwood, Minnesota. His father's occupation is listed as a salesman.

Clyde (age 9) 1895 Minnesota Census ( Entire page )

The adoption papers from the state of Minnesota details the adoption of "Harry Clyde Metcalf". The witness by the Reverend Edward. P. Savage, the superintendent (and founder) of the Children's Home Society of Minnesota, was notarized Jan 29, 1896 and the clerk of the District Court, County of Ramsey, Minnesota recorded the adoption and legal change of Clyde's name to "Harry Clyde Hudson" January 22, 1897

In the 1900 census, Clyde is listed as an adopted son, 14 years old, born in South Dakota, going to school and living with Daniel and Phylinda Hudson in Great Bend, Cottonwood, Minnesota. His father's occupation is listed as a peddler of medicine.

Clyde (age 14) 1900 Census ( Entire page )

Clyde (date unknown)

Clyde (date unknown)

In the 1905 census of Minnesota, Clyde is listed as adopted son, 19 years old and living with Daniel and Phylinda Hudson in Windom Village, Cottonwood, Minnesota. His father's occupation is listed as a traveling salesman. As noted above his parents are listed as having lived in this location for 15 years and two months while Clyde was listed as having lived there 11 years. This may be a clue as to when he was adopted by the Hudson family.

Clyde (age 19) 1905 Minnesota Census ( Entire page )

Clyde (date unknown)

From the History of Margaret Hudson Goodwin:

    "Dad was able to get an education and graduated from high school and then worked summers and put his self through university at Windom Minnesota***. Though dad was a small man he was very strong and played football and was a good wrestler"
    ***Note: There is not (nor was there ever) a university or college in Windom, MN. In another account Margaret says "Hamlin University'. There is a Hamline University in St Paul, MN. It is likely then that after high school in the city of Windom, MN Clyde went to Hamline University in St Paul, working summers back home in Windom.

In 1907, at age 21, Clyde moved to Blackfoot, Idaho. From the History of Margaret Hudson Goodwin:

    "After attending college for 2 years at Windom, Minnesota College (see note above about Windom College) he came west to make his fortune. He was 21 years old and wanted to teach school, as there were no jobs open for school teachers he tried other work."

in August of 1907 Clyde registered in the Idaho National guard, Company "F" and was discharged in August of 1910 when his enlistment period was up (1940 Enlistment record). He may or may not of re-enlisted from 1910 to 1913. It is unclear because later when he enlisted again in the Idaho National guard in 1920 (1920 Enlistment), it states that his prior enlistment was from 1907 - 1913. Also his gravestone application as veteran (Headstone Application) also states he served from 1907 to 1913. However when he enlisted in the Army in 1940 (1940 Enlistment record) his enlistment record does not show service from 1910 to 1913

In 1909 Clyde was working as a singer in the Isis theater in Blackfoot, singing during the intermission. From the History of Margaret Hudson Goodwin:

    He was very musically inclined. He sang in many choirs and quartets. He could play quite a few instruments by ear and had some training on the violin. He told us his mother was a beautiful auburn haired lady with a beautiful contralto voice."
While working at the theater in 1909, Clyde met Lennie Mae Downing, who was also working as a singer at the theater. At the time he was courting Lennie's sister Elsie but "soon changed his mind" (source: History of Margaret Hudson Goodwin). Listen to this audio as Karen Goodwin Keller (a granddaughter) describes their meeting and first date.
***Note: In her history Margaret states they were working at the Rialto Theater while in the audio Karen states it was the Isis theater. The Rialto wasn't built until 1920 (reference) while the Isis theater was referenced in a 1916 edition of the Blackfoot newspaper edition. I concluded they were working at the Isis theater.

Clyde and Lennie married in Blackfoot, Idaho, 28 April 1909. Clyde was 23 years old and Lennie was 18. There were married by the Reverend C. A. Edwards a Methodist Episcopal minister. Here is a link to their marriage record and marriage details.

In the 1910 census, Clyde and Lennie are listed as living in the household of her father Jeff Downing. Clyde is 24 years old and Lennie is 19. His occupation is listed as a carpenter. His father-in-law also is listed as a carpenter.

Clyde (age 24) 1910 US Census ( Entire page )

Clyde and Lennie had 7 children:

    Harry Everett (Eddie) 1910 - 1974
    Dorothy 1912 - 1993
    Margaret 1914 - 2008
    Julia Mae (Judy) 1918 - 1999
    Betty Jean 1920 - 1993
    Clyde (Buddy) 1922 - 1929
    Don Herbert 1924 - 1977

Clyde date unknown

From the time of his marriage with Lennie until the time of WW1 (1917) Clyde worked at various jobs. He worked as a farm hand, cook at the state hospital, baggage man on the railroad, and carpenter. In 1912 Clyde and Lennie were living at 184 S Fisher street. His occupation was as a laborer (source: Bingham County Directory for Blackfoot, pg 125). At the time of Margaret's birth in 1914 he was working as a baggage man (source: History of Margaret Hudson Goodwin). In 1916 he was sick in bed with some inflammatory disease. Finally they decided it was poison from his teeth and after having some pulled and a bridge put in he got better. (source: History of Margaret Hudson Goodwin).

Clyde date unknown

Clyde date unknown

Clyde date unknown

Below is Clyde's WW I registration card. It is stamped September 12, 1918. Clyde is 32 years old and listed as "short", "medium" build with grey eyes and "dark" hair with no obvious physical disqualifications. His occupation is listed as "farmer" and he is self-employed. We have no record to indicate that Clyde actually served in WW1. However, according to his daughter Margaret in her history:

    "My father was called into the Army in 1918 and left us for about a year. He learned to cook while in the army and when he came home he adopted this as his profession."

Clyde (age 32) 1918 WW I draft registration card

In the 1920 census (3 Jan 1920), Clyde and Lennie are listed as living in Blackfoot City, Precinct 2. Clyde's occupation is listed as a cook in the restaurant business and that he was paid wages.

Clyde (age 33) 1920 Census ( Entire page )

Clyde, at age 34, on Nov 6, 1920 again enlisted and served as a private 1st class in Troop 'B', 116 Calvary, Idaho National Guard as a cook. He received an honorable discharge September 1, 1922. In the discharge paper he is listed as 34 years 10 months and his occupation was cook. He had blue eyes, light brown hair, fair complexion and was 5 feet 6 inches in height.

Clyde date unknown, believed to be during his enlistment in 1920-1922

Clyde and Lennie's family 1921

Clyde with Julia, Betty, Dorothy and Margaret ~1921

By 1922 the family had moved to Firth, Idaho. There Buddy was born. He was born prematurely and had a heart defect. From the History of Margaret Hudson Goodwin:

    "About this time when I was six they began to build a school at Firth, Idaho and also to improve the roads. My father was able to lease a restaurant and we moved to Firth. Mother made all the pies, did some of the cooking and tended my three sisters, my one brother, and me. It was here that we had two terrifying experiences. One morning as we were huddled around the stove, my younger sister Julia fell from a chair onto a piece of kindling with nails in it that was laying on the floor . The nail lodged in her temple. We were close to the cafe where my father worked so we ran for help. They took her to the druggist in town as there was no doctor at that time. The pulled the board and the nails out and by the kindness of God there was no serious damage done and she recovered.
    I'm sure that the hard work was too much for mother. She had a new baby boy arrive early. He lived but was very delicate. Mother was never strong after this. Aunt Opal, mother's youngest sister came to stay and help us. She was the best ear washer I ever saw. She stayed with us for sometime."
    During this time, dad sang with a quartet, the Sundquists. I remember the quartet he sang with practicing on the piano in the cafe. I also remember Dad was also a very good wrestler. I remember Dad wrestling up in an old dance hall every week."

After two years in Firth the family moved to Shelley where Clyde had another cafe. They were there only a short time before leaving. By 1924 the family had moved to Aberdeen, Idaho. There Don was born. From the History of Margaret Hudson Goodwin:

    At this time we became active in the Methodist Church. I remember the church picnics and the Epworth League (youth association). While in Aberdeen, we all had chicken pox and the mumps. Our baby, Don, almost died of the chicken pox but a good friend who was a nurse, took him to her home and pulled him through.

Sometime before 1927 the family moved to Shelley, Idaho. From the History of Margaret Hudson Goodwin:

    Wanderlust pulled at Dad again and we moved back to Shelley... Dad and my elder brother Eddie went to Parma that summer and worked in fields.
    Mother, Dad and all us kids had fairly good voices. We loved music and although we didn't have the money to take lessons, there was always music in the house. Dad could play a little on the piano, violin and trombone. Eddy could play mouth organ, ukulele and later the banjo and guitar.
    Mother was very ambitious and kept a very clean house, sewed and though her health wasn't very good, took in boarders the last year they were in Shelly.
While in Shellie Lennie Mae's health became so bad she was hospitalized and she was diagnosed with diabetes. Before the start of school in 1928 the family moved back to Blackfoot. From the History of Margaret Hudson Goodwin:
    My father went to work for Egin Lamprect as a cook. One day mother went to the fair and brought a friend from Shelley home with her. She went into the bedroom, laid down, and took a nap. The next day we heard that she had died. A few days later mother got up ill, by noon she had gone into a coma. The neighbors called dad home from work, and he called Dr. Parite. He came and said he didn't know anything about diabetes and suggested we call Dr. Beck. We did and for 2 days Dr. Beck worked with her; finally he told us that he couldn't do anything for her. Aunt Lou came from Pocatello and they decided to take mother to the doctor in Idaho Falls who had taken care of her before. The doctor said that if we had brought her sooner he could have helped but it was too late now.

Lennie passed away Oct 5, 1928 at the age of 37 leaving Clyde with 7 children. The oldest Everett was 17 and the youngest Don was 3. Her death certificate states that she died from a "diabetes coma" and that contributing to her death were several diabetic comas. She was buried in the Grove City Cemetery at Blackfoot, Idaho. According to Margaret's history After Lennie's death Don, the youngest, went to live with one of Lennie's sisters for at least a while as he is listed as living with Clyde in the 1930 census.

In the 1930 census (2 April 1923), Clyde is listed as living in Blackfoot renting a place for $25/month. He is listed as not owning a radio. Clyde's occupation is listed as employed as a cook in a Cafe. He is listed as not a veteran.

Clyde (age 43) 1930 US Census ( Entire page )

In 1930 Clyde's oldest daughter Dorothy was married and in 1933 Eddie married. This left Clyde with his three other daughters at home and possibly Don. From the History of Margaret Hudson Goodwin:

    "This left myself and 2 younger sisters to keep house for my dad – we had a struggle but we learned to wash, iron and keep house. The depression was really bad when I was in high school. Dad worked at the bakery for $1 a shift – 10 hours a night.
    Dad was very strict with us girls. He was raised a Methodist and really didn't believe in dancing but everyone else was dancing at public dance halls so he let us. He had a very stict curfew for us."

Clyde's daughter Margaret married in 1933. Then both Betty Jean and Judy were married in November 1936.

Clyde date unknown

In the 1940 census (2 April 1923), Clyde is listed as living in Blackfoot at his daughter Betty Jean and son-in-law James Elmer Baird's home. His occupation is listed as a carpenter with wages of $900/year. Presumably he was working with his son-in-law. Don is listed as age 15 and living there as well.

Clyde (age 53) 1940 Census ( Entire page )

On September 17, 1940, Clyde at age 54, enlisted in the United States Army in the 41st Infantry Division as a cook . He was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington. On April 20, 1941 he was promoted to the rank of Sergeant and served as Mess Sergeant. He received an honorable discharge September 21, 1941 at Fort Lewis, Washington. In the discharge papers it states he enlisted when he was 54 years, 8 months old, by occupation a cook. He had blue eyes, gray hair, fair complexion and was 5 feet 4.5 inches in height.

Clyde - 2nd from right on front row
date unknown but believed to be during his service in WWII

After his discharge in 1941 Clyde moved to Seattle, WA. Below is Clyde's WW II registration card. This card is from the Fourth Registration, often referred to as the "old man's registration". It was conducted on 27 April 1942 and registered men who born on or between 28 April 1877 and 16 February 1897 - men who were between 45 and 64 years old - and who were not already in the military. Clyde's address is 515 Seneca Street, Seattle WA. This location is right downtown Seattle. His place of work was 1st and Orca. There is nothing there today to indicate what his employment might have been although likely it was as a cook. All establishments there today were founded after his death. One establishment on the corner is the Alki Bakery and cafe which was established in 1985. Perhaps there was an earlier cafe there that Clyde worked at?

Clyde (age 56) 1942 WW II draft registration card

It is unclear exactly when but by the late 1940's Clyde was back in Blackfoot. His grandson Dick recalls him working construction for Dick's dad James E Baird around the late 1940's. Dick remembers him falling off a roof and breaking his foot or ankle.

Clyde with his daughters
(L-R) Margaret, Julia, Betty and Dorothy

Lana Baird Grinnell (granddaughter):

    "He (grandpa Hudson) lived with us off and on and he smoked cigars. Mom had his bedroom in the basement because of the smell. He played the violin and harmonica and loved to sing. He would take a hold of his throat by his Adam's apple when he sang sometimes to change to sound of the notes. He liked music a lot. I remember going to visit a sheep camp one day where he was the cook for the crew that herded the sheep. He cooked out of the type of wagon you see in movies. I remember it was pretty exciting. I remember being home alone with him and he felt he was having a heart attack and had me drive him to the hospital. I was scared to death because I didn't have a license yet and barely knew what I was doing. Turned out he was right! He did have a heart attack. His car at the time was a 2 door Plymouth. He liked to go panning for gold (I don't remember where) and would be gone long periods of time and sometimes would bring me back some"fools gold" which looked like diamonds but wasn't."

Clyde (age 67) Easter (April 5) 1953

Eddie (son), Clyde, date unknown
L-R in back: Judy (daughter), Margaret (daughter), Phil Goodwin (son-in-law), James Baird (son-in-law)

The picture below is the picture of Clyde that many of his descendants remember him by. A large copy of this hung in my grandma Betty Hudson Baird's house for as long as I can remember (Mike Baird).

Clyde, date unknown but probably around 1953

The picture below is a picture of Clyde in front of his daughter Betty's house on Judicial street in Blackfoot. Probably sometime 1953 to 1956.

Clyde, date unknown but probably around 1953-1956

Clyde passed away 15 July 1956 at Blackfoot, Idaho. His death certificate states the condition leading to his death was "cardiac failure (congestive)" and that the interval between onset and death was "3 years". He was buried at the Grove City Cemetery, Blackfoot Idaho.

Below is an application for a Headstone for military veterans.

Application for grave stone for Military veterans

Clyde's grave stone


Galleries of photos (Password Required - Contact Michael Baird for password):